[xquery-talk] Re: The State of Native XML databases

Jeff Dexter jeff.dexter at rainingdata.com
Tue Aug 21 11:43:16 PDT 2007

Your last assertion is quite correct, and furthermore one other inherent
difficulty with relying on implicit or explicit casting to types like
xs:date is that they can and do generate errors. A query knowing up front
that it's dealing with dates not only mitigates the need for parsing (much
less generation of whatever internal representation the engine uses), but it
also gives the query author a level of guarantee that their query won't blow
up midway through a query.

Jeff.