[xquery-talk] Dynamic context default values

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Wed Feb 7 11:15:14 PST 2007

On Friday 02 February 2007 14:14, Ivan Shcheklein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't sure is this bug or not?
>
> I couldn't find a clear answer in the spec why an implementation (minimal
> conformance) MUST be able to set externally components of the dynamic
> context - default collection, context item ...
>
> For example consider fn-collection-4d in XQTS:
>
> count(fn:collection())
>
> which expects value of default collection component to be returned.

I neither see that implementations must be able to set the collection to
certain nodes, so the XQTS is a bit over-demanding here, in my opinion.

However, this is actually the first time I've seen an implementor consider
this a problem.

Personally, in my own implementation, the collection doesn't have a very
central use but I decided to implement it anyway because it wasn't very much
work(for these purposes, quite similar to fn:doc()), and that it is to me a
very good mechanism for hooking into things, as opposed to inventing ones
own.

You can open a report against the test suite at
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/enter_bug.cgi if you would like this changed.

Cheers,

		Frans