[xquery-talk] XQuery Update Facility

Jonathan Robie jonathan.robie at datadirect.com
Mon Jan 8 16:48:27 PST 2007

Elliotte Harold wrote:
> I've read over the latest draft of the XQuery Update facility from the
> W3C. Two questions:
>
> 1. How close is this to XUpdate and current XML database update
> languages?

XUpdate uses an XML syntax, and has no relationship to XQuery. The
XQuery Update Facility is an extension of XQuery. XUpdate does not seem
to explicitly discuss transactional semantics, which are an important
part of the XQuery Update Facility specification.

 From informal discussions, I believe that database vendors update
extensions to XQuery are more similar, perhaps because the original
proposals go back to 2000, and everyone had read them.

> 2. Have any databases yet implemented the draft spec? If so, which ones?
To my knowledge, not in any commercially available software - the
databases are using their own update extensions. However, the underlying
model they are using for updates seems to be similar to the model of the
XQuery Update Facility.

Hope this helps!

Jonathan

--