[xquery-talk] eXist status

Robert Walpole robert.walpole at devon.gov.uk
Thu Jan 11 12:52:29 PST 2007

We are using eXist 1.1 to deliver a web based Community Directory which you can see here: http://www.devonline.gov.uk/community.

I am not sure exactly what you mean by data loss? Personally I started working with eXist in late 2005 and I cannot say I have experienced any significant problems. There have been a few instances of db corruption which have required us restore the db. We use cron to do an hourly backup of the db (we are running on eXist on Solaris) but in fact when we have had corruption it was still possible to backup the db manually as the corruption only related to one or two files.

So to answer your question, I guess I have experienced a couple of instances of data loss affecting recent changes made to a few files in some 18 months of use.

I have been impressed by the level of support given by the eXist developers who have always been very helpful in resolving problems and keen to get the bottom of any possible bugs quickly. On the whole I would say eXist is very stable and would recommend it to anyone who needs to work with a lot of XML data.

Rob Walpole
Devon Portal Developer
Web: http://www.devonline.gov.uk
E-mail robert.walpole at devon.gov.uk