[xquery-talk] Union types

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Sat Jan 13 00:10:57 PST 2007

There's a bit of a gap in the spec here: support for union types is not
particularly good. It would be nice to allow a cast directly to a union type
(or a castable test, for that matter). It would also be nice if you could
directly compare an element/attribute having a union type with a value
belonging to one of its member types without the risk of a type error.

Doing a sequence of "castable" tests as Jim suggested is one solution but it
does replicate a lot of detail from the schema into the query.

I thought another way to do it would be to have a global element e declared
in the schema with the required union type as its type, and then do

pbs:myProp = validate{ <e>{"1999-12-31T12:00:00"}</e> }

Unfortunately this give you a type error rather than false if pbs:myProp is
not a dateTime. To get round this, use

index-of(pbs:myProp, validate{ <e>{"1999-12-31T12:00:00"}</e> }) = 1

Of course if the lexical spaces of the member types of the union are
disjoint (for example with union(date, time, dateTime)) a much easier
solution is to do

string(pbs:myProp) = "1999-12-31T12:00:00"