[xquery-talk] String similarity function in XQuery?

David Carlisle davidc at nag.co.uk
Thu Jun 14 23:07:37 PDT 2007

> Does anyone have an XQuery function that calculates the similarity of
> two strings? I'm thinking of something along the lines of the Perl
> String::Similarity module:

I think this is a different measure, and written as XSLT rather than
XQuery, but that's just top level syntax differences as the underlying
expression language is the same as far as string handling goes.

 http://www.jenitennison.com/blog/search/node/Levenshtein

> but (after adding parentheses around the final if..then clause so
> it will run) this function scales more or less exponentially with string
> length, becoming unusable pretty quickly.

The comments in the above posts re helping the system optimise the tail
recursive calls are probably relevant (in general if not in detail) to
other algorithms and other systems

David