[xquery-talk] multiple xml doc reference performance

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Thu May 31 17:07:24 PDT 2007

The performance of a join query like this, and the ways for improving the
performance, depend very much on your choice of XQuery processor. XQuery
doesn't have any equivalent to XSLT's xsl:key which is a hint for creating
indexes; in the absence of this the processor has to work out for itself
what strategy to adopt.

One of the important differences between the two versions of Saxon, Saxon-B
and Saxon-SA, is that Saxon-SA has a more powerful optimizer which is good
at optimizing joins between large datasets. It can make a dramatic
difference for this kind of query.