[xquery-talk] Re: replacing a node in in-memory XML

Thomas Lord lord at emf.net
Tue Nov 6 16:30:14 PST 2007

Another follow-up for Wolfgang's good tip:

Think carefully about how many copies of a given
element your input might have, and how many copies
of a given output you want it to have.

Consider these three variations (for example):

    element {QName ($n)}
    {
      $n/@*,
      for $c in $n/node()
      typeswitch ($c)
      case element foo return <my-foo-replacement/>
      default return $c
    }

and

    element {QName ($n)}
    {
      $n/@*,
      for $c in $n/node()
      typeswitch ($c)
      case element foo return ()
      default return $c,
      <my-foo-replacement/>
    }
and

    element {QName ($n)}
    {
      $n/@*,
      for $c in $n/node()
      typeswitch ($c)
      case element foo return ()
      default return $c,
      if ($n/foo) then <my-foo-replacement/> else ()
    }

You can score a lot of good "robustness karma points" if
you make the right choices among variations like those.
(And, you can make distinctions like that in XSLT just fine
but I'm not sure that code comes out clearer than
the above examples!)

Also, don't forget to copy attributes (as illustrated)
when appropriate!  (And, you can do the same trick to
edit attributes, btw.)

-t