[xquery-talk] Re: talk Digest, Vol 54, Issue 3

Jim Melton jim.melton at acm.org
Thu Oct 18 14:24:03 PDT 2007

Florian,

At 10/18/2007 01:00 PM, talk-request at x-query.com wrote:
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 2
>Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 20:06:57 +0200
>From: Florian Wendland <florianwendland at freenet.de>
>Subject: [xquery-talk] Future of XQuery and XQuery Update Faclilty
>To: XQuery Talk <talk at x-query.com>
>
>Hello all,
>
>does anyone know, whether XQuery 1.0 and XQuery Update Facility will be
>merged in the near future to XQuery 2.0 probably? Currently, the
>specifications are different branches, because XQUF extends the
>datamodel of XQuery.
>
>I've googled and searched in the W3C specifiations, but i i didn't any
>hint concerning these both technologies.

No, nobody knows the answer to that question.  I don't know what you
mean by "near future", but I can guarantee that it will not happen
within the next 12 months.

The XML Query WG and XSL WG have charters that involve production of
XQuery 1.1 and its suite of accompanying documents, possibly
including XPath 2.1.  The XML Query WG has discussed the pros and
cons of merging the Update Facility into XQuery 1.1 or into some
future version of XQuery that is not yet in our charter.  However, at
this stage, it's unreasonable to expect a firm decision about even
XQuery 1.1, because work has only just started on that spec.  It's
not impossible (and there is some support for the idea) that XQuery
1.1 might include the Update Facility, but that has not been decided
one way or the other.

Of course, XQuery Update Facility 1.0 will be published as a separate
specification that augments the Data Model, XQuery itself, the Formal
Semantics, and XQueryX.

Hope this helps,
    Jim

Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL)     Phone: +1.801.942.0144
   Co-Chair, W3C XML Query WG; XQX (etc.) editor    Fax : +1.801.942.3345
Oracle Corporation        Oracle Email: jim dot melton at oracle dot com
1930 Viscounti Drive      Standards email: jim dot melton at acm dot org
Sandy, UT 84093-1063 USA          Personal email: jim at melton dot name