[xquery-talk] RE: Future of XQuery and XQuery Update Faclilty

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Mon Oct 22 21:36:51 PDT 2007

> I don't follow you.   I don't see that at all.

Well, the language semantics are expressed in terms of pending update lists,
and you want to expose those pending update lists to the user. But an
implementation only has to behave "as if" there were a pending update list.
Internally, it might do the update immediately, detect conflicts as they
arise, and roll back to the original state if there is a failure. You're
making it quite difficult to implement it that way if the PUL is visible to
user applications.

In the case of XQuery implementations built on top of an RDBMS, I would
think they are likely to use the transaction manager of the database
service.