[xquery-talk] RE: Future of XQuery and XQuery Update Faclilty

Timothy Marc timothymarc at freenet.de
Mon Oct 22 22:51:42 PDT 2007

Hi all again,

as initiator of that discussion, I'd like to add my opinion:

The arguments for the update extension of XQuery had already been
listed. I think, a query language should include a mechanism for
proceeding updates just like plain queries. I can't believe, that sql
would have had become that popular, if manipulating data were just
"extension". I would appreciate, if XQUF would be integrated into the
XQuery standard.

After testing XQUF intensive, i think, this is a great enhancement of
the xquery 1.0 specification. You see, comercial and non-comercial
database vendors (Tamino, eXist, DB2) had developed  proprietary
<http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&p=eL4jZr&search=proprietary> update
mechanism, XML:DB XUpdate for example. So i think, it is time to
<http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&p=eL4jZr&search=to> satisfy
<http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&p=eL4jZr&search=satisfy> the
<http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&p=eL4jZr&search=the> needs
<http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&p=eL4jZr&search=needs> of