[xquery-talk] RE: Future of XQuery and XQuery Update Faclilty

Liam Quin liam at w3.org
Mon Oct 22 21:36:03 PDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 09:51:42PM +0200, Timothy Marc wrote:
> The arguments for the update extension of XQuery had already been
> listed. I think, a query language should include a mechanism for
> proceeding updates just like plain queries. I can't believe, that sql
> would have had become that popular, if manipulating data were just
> "extension". I would appreciate, if XQUF would be integrated into the
> XQuery standard.

It's an extension in the sense that it's a separately-written
specification, but it's being written by the same W3C Working Group,
and the people developing XQuery were aware of the need, and took
into consideration the work on Update.

It's possible (but not yet determimed) that XQuery 1.1 will incorporate
the update specification, perhaps along with the XPath 2.0 and XQuery
1.0 Full Text work.  Part of the timing depends on resources, though.

Best,

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/ * http://www.fromoldbooks.org/