[xquery-talk] Setting global variables

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Wed Oct 31 09:07:53 PST 2007

Sounds like you're having difficulty getting procedural programming out of
your mindset... It's this concept of "later" that gives it away. In
functional programming, there is no time axis, no concept of "earlier" or
"later".

The answer is to initialize the global variable to the subset of the
document that's needed, from within its own initializer.

Incidentally, the problem of passing parameters through functions that don't
actually look at them directly sounds like a request for something like XSLT
2.0's tunnel parameters.

It looks as if XQuery is going to be extended to turn it into a procedural
language through "scripting extensions". As far as I'm concerned, that's a
great shame - being forced to learn to use functional programming has made
me a much better programmer.