[xquery-talk] Setting global variables

John Snelson john.snelson at oracle.com
Wed Oct 31 10:48:30 PST 2007

Michael Kay wrote:
> It looks as if XQuery is going to be extended to turn it into a procedural
> language through "scripting extensions". As far as I'm concerned, that's a
> great shame - being forced to learn to use functional programming has made
> me a much better programmer.

I completely understand how you feel, Michael - the functional paradigm
is enough to accomplish a large majority of tasks. That said, there are
some tasks that are very difficult to accomplish without the notion of
time - user interaction being a very large set of such tasks.

John

--
John Snelson, Oracle Corporation
Berkeley DB XML:        http://www.oracle.com/database/berkeley-db/xml