[xquery-talk] [Announce] XQilla version 1.1.0 released

John Snelson john.snelson at oracle.com
Tue Sep 4 11:56:34 PDT 2007

Andrew Welch wrote:
> On 9/4/07, John Snelson <john.snelson at oracle.com> wrote:
>> Yes, although I don't believe Michael Kay has implemented XQuery Update yet.
>
> A couple of questions (the first possibly naive):
>
>  - Does XQuilla perform XQuery Update to files on the filesystem (does
> it have transaction support, eg a history of updates?) If it is on the
> filesystem what sort of use cases do you imagine... I can think of a
> few but imagine the wrong query could do a lot of damage without an
> undo facility...

XQilla will save changes to documents back to the filesystem. I agree
that you could cause a lot of damage, but no more so than a bad use of
"sed" or any other command line file manipulation tool. The XQilla
command line tool requires a switch to be specified before it will parse
XQuery Update - so you won't be able to run an updating expression by
accident.

If you are worried about overwriting the original document, you can
always use a "transform" expression and still work with the update paradigm:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-update-10/#id-transform

I think that XQuery Update will find a lot of use cases where XSLT would
have been used before - I'm sure many people will find the update
paradigm easier to work with than the transform one for simple document
modifications.

> - Any plans for XSLT 2.0 support?

I'd love to implement XSLT 2.0, but it's not my top priority now. We're
already a large part of the way there because of the XPath 2.0 engine.
Of course if anyone wants to offer to do this, I'd be delighted to help
them along :-).

John