[xquery-talk] [Announce] XQilla version 1.1.0 released

David Carlisle davidc at nag.co.uk
Tue Sep 4 14:08:27 PDT 2007

> The point I was trying to make was that XQuery + XML DB should be able
> to select nodes far faster than XSLT + REST API, so the ideal
> combination is XSLT + XQuery extension function.

why does it have to be an extension function? XQuey and XSLT difer
mainly in surface syntax so if the XQuery engine can be hooked up to a
DB rather than an in memory tree, it's surely not impossible for the
Xpath that's embedded in XSLT to access a database in teh same way is
it?

> I was wondering though if XQuery is even needed - if there was an XSLT
> extension function that took three arguments:
>
> xmldb($db-uri, $collection, $xpath)

why not just

collection('some-uri-representing-the-db')/the/xpath/query/you/want)

David