[xquery-talk] A Couple of Questions - OOXML and SQL

Pete williep_t3 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 3 10:04:30 PST 2008

  I'd just add that the degree of difficulty in
getting meaningful information out of OOXML docs is
probably dependant on what you're searching for and
which format you're working with.  I'm able to query,
markup, and reuse parts of Word 2007 documents
(WordprocessingML) quite effectively.

  There are 2 elements you can use in WordprocessingML
for adding semantic concepts/markup to your documents,
<w:customXml> and <w:sdt>. They both have restrictions
on use, so check part 4 of the ECMA specs for all the
details. ( It's a short section, just search on the
tag names.)  But in a nutshell, <w:customXml> allows
you to  markup within the main body of content in the
Word package (the document.xml file).  The latter
allows you to reference custom XML pieces ( stored in
the Word document package (.docx, etc.)) from the main
body through XPath.   For both elements, the name for
the element you define is actually an attribute.

Example:
<w:customXml w:element="Foo">
    <w:r><w:t>JUNK</w:t></w:r>
</w:customXml>