[xquery-talk] How to run xquery dynamically on file listing from directory

Wei, Alice J. ajwei at indiana.edu
Thu Apr 10 17:32:37 PDT 2008

From: Jonathan Robie [jonathan.robie at redhat.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2008 4:02 PM
To: Wei, Alice J.
Cc: seleneplatt at comcast.net; talk at x-query.com
Subject: Re: [xquery-talk] How to run xquery dynamically on file listing        from directory

Wei, Alice J. wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    Yes, you can do something like running several files at once using collection().
>     The caveat is that this means you are running all the files in that collection. To answer your question, you can do something like
>
> let $x: = collection("xmlfiles")
> return
> <count>{count($x)}</count>

Whether or not you can do this depends entirely on your implementation.
Check their documentation for the collection() function. Some
implementations provide a different way of achieving the same result.
There is no portable way to do this.

One more point, if you use Saxon, the code I provided above should work. If you use others, the syntax, like Jonathan pointed out, may be a little different.
What are you using?

Alice