[xquery-talk] XQuery and id()/idref(); Controlling the children of nodes in the result sequence

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Wed Apr 23 13:38:12 PDT 2008

> So the question is, is it possible to recursively traverse
> the descendants of the a:data node and select only those
> element nodes which
>    refer to the same a:span element?

Well, the answer is yes - though at this point I'm afraid I start wishing
the code was written in XSLT rather than XQuery: XSLT makes recursive
traversal of a tree so much easier. But you can do it: write a recursive
function that you apply to a node, and which calls itself to process the
children of the node.