[xquery-talk] XQuery and Web 2.0

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Fri Apr 25 18:42:17 PDT 2008

> In my systems, I handled sequencing by evaluating XQuery
> programs in a loop, each iteration of the loop returning a
> description of side effects
> to perform and, optionally, a continuation.   If present, the
> continuation is the next XQuery program to run in the loop.   This is
> simple and effective although it is unusual enough that it
> takes some time to get used to it.

This sounds like a classic pipeline architecture, and can be controlled
using a pipeline language such as XProc or Orbeon XPL. Because it keeps the
size of individual queries small, this is definitely a good way of creating
XQuery applications. It also allows XQuery to be mixed with other
technologies (such as XSLT and Java apps) in the same pipeline.