XQuery as a general data processing language WAS: [xquery-talk] XQuery and Web 2.0

Jason Hunter jhunter at servlets.com
Fri Apr 25 15:37:18 PDT 2008

Daniela Florescu wrote:
> It's not exactly true. Me, together with many other people who
> participated to
> the creation of XQuery (only *some* of us, though !), since day one, we
> always had in mind,
> while designing XQuery, a  general programming language for XML data
> processing,
> and not merely a "query" language (whatever that means).

For what it's worth, we're having great success using XQuery as defined
today as a general purpose web programming language.  For performing
updates, making fast text search calls, and all the rest we just use
functions.  Here's a list:

FWIW, it seems messy and unnecessary to me to change the language in any
significant way to support these things.  I prefer the Java approach.
Simple language, complex libraries.  Empirically you can, for example,
do fast text search through library calls.  So let's do that.