XQuery as a general data processing language WAS: [xquery-talk]XQuery and Web 2.0

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Sat Apr 26 00:33:39 PDT 2008

> Do you guys augment XQuery with a lot of non-standard
> functions?   I can
> see why people do (even if you don't) but it's a trend I'd
> like to try to resist and suggest others resist, for obvious reasons.

Why? Do you think it's a bad idea that there are lots of class libraries
available for Java? I think the opposite: the richer the function libraries,
the more useful the language. Of course, portable libraries available on
multiple engines are better than vendor-specific libraries - but you've got
to start somewhere.