XQuery as a general data processing language WAS: [xquery-talk]XQuery and Web 2.0

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Sat Apr 26 00:37:32 PDT 2008

> Anyway, XQuery was designed to 'work' on the XQuery/XPath
> data model and I don't believe anywhere anytime soon your
> 'typical' developer/architect/ designer will choose XDM as
> its main representation of information to implement
> (transactional business) logic upon.

You may be right, but it's a shame, because XML is often a much better way
of representing business information than the two main alternatives,
relational tables and Java objects. That's because it can handle the softer,
fuzzier, more variable information that traditional applications leave out
on the grounds that traditional technology can't cope with it.