XQuery as a general data processing language WAS: [xquery-talk] XQuery and Web 2.0

Sat Apr 26 01:48:29 PDT 2008

Sure...no disagreement here....perhaps that just means that a "general
data processing language" as is the subject of this thread is not
there yet?

If mainstream adoption of XQuery is what we all care about in this
discussion (and I might be confusing web 2 mashups, as originally
intended, with mainstream here), I still think that better integration
in your more typical application environment (which for better or
worse looks like it will be oo based for the coming years) is going to
be key.

Applications like Markmail or whatever other killer app one comes up
with is a necessary trigger to get the attention of the average
buzzword allergic and essentially lazy developer, but I doubt that
you'll keep their attention once they find out what things they have
to go through to take an XQuery result and integrate it in their
familiar environment (or vice versa).

What do you think about e.g. LINQ which from what I understand of it
seem to try and deal with this integration/mismatch problem? Would
that not better fit better under the "general data processing"
language umbrella?

Peter