XQuery as a general data processing language WAS: [xquery-talk]XQuery and Web 2.0

Tony Lavinio alavinio at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 20:35:22 PDT 2008

Aren't some of these arguments missing the point a little? Jason I
think hit it. Java (and C#) are a success not so much because of the
language, but because of the class libraries. Perl had CPAN, and even
Ruby really took off when Rails appeared. XQuery is a language, but
with a very small "class library". A larger one would give it more of
a reach.

So XQuery deals with the XML data model. We've extended it to read and
write other things, such as relational data and EDI and even binary
files. So we've got a "class library" that's somewhat larger than the
spec. Saxon has a few extras, and MarkLogic has a robust collection.
Each of us is trying to solve a different set of problems.

If there were several implementations of Java, and each had its own
class library, it wouldn't be so popular, no?

Tony Lavinio DataDirect Technologies alavinio at datadirect.com
High-performance XML Processor: DataDirect XQuery http://www.xquery.com/
EDI/Flat File<->XML Converters (Java|.Net) http://www.xmlconverters.com/