XQuery as a general data processing language WAS: [xquery-talk] XQuery and Web 2.0

Daniela Florescu dflorescu at mac.com
Fri Apr 25 20:15:19 PDT 2008

> Well, I think a lot of the design trade-offs that were made, for
> example the
> absence of polymorphism and dynamic despatch, were made on the basis
> that
> the choice is right for a query language even if it is wrong for a
> general-purpose programming language.

I think personally XQuery needs dynamic dispatch. I think it did not
make
it in XQuery 1.0 because we didn't have the bandwidth for it (like for
groupby), and
maybe the WG didn't understand the issue at that time.

It would be nice to be able to mix and match XSLT programs and XQuery
programs
in a standard way.

Would that solve the problem ?

Best regards