XQuery as a general data processing language WAS: [xquery-talk]XQuery and Web 2.0

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Sat Apr 26 09:37:17 PDT 2008

> Well...ok....what about something like a non proprietary LINQ
> done properly?

Using terminology that has gone out of vogue, XSLT and XQuery are
fourth-generation languages, LINQ is a third generation language with 4G
add-ons. I'm a great believer in using 4GLs for writing business
applications, I've been doing it since the 1980s and I believe the
productivity and maintainability benefits are immense. You should never let
your business data anywhere near Java unless you are doing something with
substantial algorithmic complexity, like traffic scheduling. Every time I
see people doing it, I see a team taking months to implement new features
when it should take days.