XQuery as a general data processing language WAS: [xquery-talk] XQuery and Web 2.0

John Snelson john.snelson at oracle.com
Mon Apr 28 13:32:29 PDT 2008

Peter Coppens wrote:
> Anyway, XQuery was designed
> to 'work' on the XQuery/XPath data model and I don't believe anywhere
> anytime soon your 'typical' developer/architect/designer will choose XDM
> as its main representation of information to implement (transactional
> business) logic upon. If XQuery has the ambition to become a general
> (data) processing language it will have to integrate (or work)
> seamlessly with <your preferred oo programming language> object model.

I guess that depends on what data you have coming in and going out. A
large and increasing number of applications have XML/HTML both coming in
and going out. In this circumstance it makes a great deal of sense to
write business logic in XQuery  - and I've seen customers who are doing
exactly that.

John

--
John Snelson, Oracle Corporation            http://snelson.org.uk/john