XQuery as a general data processing language WAS: [xquery-talk] XQuery and Web 2.0

Daniela Florescu dflorescu at mac.com
Mon Apr 28 08:59:24 PDT 2008

On Apr 28, 2008, at 5:30 AM, Peter Coppens wrote:

>> I guess that depends on what data you have coming in and going out.
>> A large and increasing number of applications have XML/HTML both
>> coming in and going out. In this circumstance it makes a great deal
>> of sense to write business logic in XQuery  - and I've seen
>> customers who are doing exactly that.
>
> I guess yes....in my case I have X(HT)ML coming in and going out
> indeed, but also a lot of data stored in a RDBMS (that is being
> accessed using EBJ3/JPA).

I would say: wrap the relational databases with a REST API (I send you
the SQL and the parameters, you give me back the result in XML), and
then from
there on use XQuery. Or something along those lines.

For most people switching from a relational database to an XML
database isn't an option, for a variety
of reasons, but wrapping and hiding it is OK.

Or use products like BEA's Liquid Data that help you interact with a
relational database through XQuery
if you don't want to do it by hand.

You said that there are several reasons of why you cannot use XQuery
in your daily job. In addition of
relational databases, what other reasons ? Anything we can fix ?

Best regards
Dana