XQuery as a general data processing language WAS:[xquery-talk]XQuery and Web 2.0

Tolkin, Steve Steve.Tolkin at FMR.COM
Tue Apr 29 13:21:09 PDT 2008

OK, I'll ask -- what 4GL do you use for business applications?

Steve
--
Steven Tolkin    Steve.Tolkin at fmr.com     508-787-9006
Fidelity Investments   400 Puritan Way M3B     Marlborough MA 01752
There is nothing so practical as a good theory.  Comments are by me,
not Fidelity Investments, its subsidiaries or affiliates.

-----Original Message-----
From: talk-bounces at x-query.com [mailto:talk-bounces at x-query.com] On
Behalf Of Michael Kay
Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2008 3:37 AM
To: 'Peter Coppens'; 'Daniela Florescu'
Cc: talk at x-query.com
Subject: RE: XQuery as a general data processing language
WAS:[xquery-talk]XQuery and Web 2.0

> Well...ok....what about something like a non proprietary LINQ
> done properly?

Using terminology that has gone out of vogue, XSLT and XQuery are
fourth-generation languages, LINQ is a third generation language with 4G
add-ons. I'm a great believer in using 4GLs for writing business
applications, I've been doing it since the 1980s and I believe the
productivity and maintainability benefits are immense. You should never
let
your business data anywhere near Java unless you are doing something
with
substantial algorithmic complexity, like traffic scheduling. Every time
see people doing it, I see a team taking months to implement new
features
when it should take days.

talk at x-query.com