[xquery-talk] XPath Issues in XQuery

Wei, Alice J. ajwei at indiana.edu
Mon Feb 18 15:13:40 PST 2008

Hi,

  I have thought about using another subject heading for this, but does not seem to be quite fit.

  This is my input file:

 <my>
    <myHeader>
        <fileDesc>
            <titleStmt>
                <title>My Collection</title>
            </titleStmt>
            <sourceDesc>
                <biblFull>
                    <seriesStmt>
                        <title level="journal">My Journal</title>
                        <idno type="volume"> 1 </idno>
                        <idno type="issue"> 1 </idno>
                    </seriesStmt>
                </biblFull>
            </sourceDesc>
        </fileDesc>
    </myHeader>
    <text>
                <ad>
                    <head>Be Taller</head>
                        TALL-UP.
                        <address>
                            <addressLine>TALL-UP,</addressLine>
                            <addressLine>232 W. Front St.</addressLine>
                            <addressLine>Napoleon, Ohio 42345</addressLine>
                        </address>
                    <note>Dept. NA</note>
                </ad>
                <ad>
                    <head type="main">FREE POWERFUL MUSCLES FAST</head>
                    <head type="sub">FREE</head>
                        add inches of powerful muscles to arms, chest, shoulders &amp; legs.
                        Learn secrets on trimming the waist with ultra-modern methods—fast! Results
                        guaranteed! Send for free brochure. Send dime for postage and handling.
                        <address>
                            <addressLine>Universal Bodybuilding</addressLine>
                            <addressLine>Box 485</addressLine>
                            <addressLine>Dearborn, Michigan 48121</addressLine>
                        </address>
                    <note>Dept. P</note>
                </ad>
    </text>
</my>

My Current XQuery:

let $ad := fn:collection("xmldb:exist://db/cbml")
let $journal := $ad//seriesStmt/title[@level='journal'][1]
let $ad2 := $ad//ad/p/address[contains(upper-case(.), 'MUSCLE')]
let $sorted_result:=
for $doc in distinct-values($ad2)
order by $doc
return $doc
for $r at $count in $sorted_result
let $nodes := $ad2[. = $r][1]
let $para := $nodes/parent::p[1]
let $head := $nodes/parent::head[1]
let $note := $nodes/parent::note[1]
let $seriesStmt:=$nodes/ancestor::cbml//seriesStmt
let $pb := $nodes/ancestor::cbml//pb[1]
return
<ad>
<statistics>
Showing Result: {$count} / {count($sorted_result)}
</statistics>
<source>
<journal>{data($journal)[1]}</journal>
<publication_information>Volume {data($seriesStmt/idno[@type='volume'][1])},
Issue {data($seriesStmt/idno[@type='issue'][1])}</publication_information>
</source>
<head>{$head}</head>
{$nodes}
<description>{$para}</description>
<information>Source from page {$pb}</information>

This brings back the accurate result number, but there is no content within the <head> or <description> nodes, as shown in the following:

<ad>
<statistics> Showing Result: 1 / 1</statistics>
<source>
<journal>My Collection</journal>
<publication_information>Volume 1 , Issue 1 </publication_information>
</source>
                         <head/>
                          <address>
                            <addressLine>Universal Bodybuilding</addressLine>
                            <addressLine>Box 485</addressLine>
                            <addressLine>Dearborn, Michigan 48121</addressLine>
                        </address>
                       <description>
                        add inches of powerful muscles to arms, chest, shoulders &amp; legs.
                        Learn secrets on trimming the waist with ultra-modern methods—fast! Results
                        guaranteed! Send for free brochure. Send dime for postage and handling.
               </description>
               <information>Source from page
                  <pb n ="cover" xml:id ="etn010002-001"/>
          </information>
<note/>
                </ad>

The desired output:

[...]