[xquery-talk] Function and Query Evaluation with No XML Tags Error

Wei, Alice J. ajwei at indiana.edu
Tue Feb 26 11:21:37 PST 2008

Hi, David:

  I think I am having a different issue different from what I had several weeks ago.
   What I have modified is from:

let $ad := fn:collection("xmldb:exist://db/cbml")//ad/p[contains(upper-case(.), 'BOOK')]
let $sorted_result:=
for $doc in distinct-values($ad)
order by $doc
return $doc
for $r at $count in $sorted_result
let $nodes := $ad[. = $r][1]
return
<ad>
{$nodes}
</ad>

  by trying to put it in user-defined functions, which is currently giving me quite a bit of problems from itself.

declare boundary-space preserve;
declare function local:distinct(
     $seq as xs:anyAtomicType*)
      as xs:anyAtomicType
 {
 let $doc := distinct-values($seq)
 order by $doc
 return
  <ad>{$doc} </ad>
 };

 for $ad in
distinct-values(collection("xmldb:exist://db/cbml")//ad/p[contains(upper-case(.$
 return
<ad>{local:distinct($ad)}</ad>

As I mentioned before, I only intend to have the output be appeared in the same way as the above XQuery that is not in the function.
Is this possible?

Thanks for your help.
Alice Wei
MIS 2008