[xquery-talk] Function and Query Evaluation with No XML Tags Error

Kevin Grover kevin at kevingrover.net
Wed Feb 27 15:40:03 PST 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 2:41 AM, Wei, Alice J. <ajwei at indiana.edu> wrote:

> Hi, Kevin:
>
>   Thanks, this does bring some help to what I am trying to work on now. To
> certain extent, I have this feeling that the syntax between XQuery functions
> and XQuery user-defined functions are somewhat different.

I'm not sure I understand this statement.  It seems that you're implying
that the built-in functions and user function behave differently?  Or are
used differently?  I don't think this the case.  I could for, example, write
my own function that behaved like the built-in distinct-values function.

>  Your code does point out quite a few different options and the variety of
> errors I could be getting when I am not doing them correctly. It does do the
> trick.
>

> Thanks for your help.

You're welcome.  I'm glad it helped.  I've learned a great deal about XQuery
myself in the last couple of days (by trying to help someone else).

- Kevin