[xquery-talk] Function and Query Evaluation with No XML Tags Error

Kevin Grover kevin at kevingrover.net
Thu Feb 28 18:22:27 PST 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 9:00 AM, David Carlisle <davidc at nag.co.uk> wrote:

>   for $r in $seq[not(string(.)=string((child::*)[1]))]
>    return $r
>
>  Means exactly the same thing as
>

>  $seq[not(string(.)=string((child::*)[1]))]
>

>  (for $r in ... return $r  is always the same as ...)

That was my bad.  It was from an example I posted,  except 'child::'
was 'preceding-sibling::' in my function.

It's in that form because the previous version had a string() around
$r to show how you could write your own function that emulated the
results of the distinct-values() function.

It did not occur to me at the time to simplify the expression, but it
makes sense when you pointed it out.

Thanks.