[xquery-talk] Are declared variables a bad thing?

Ryan Grimm grimm at xqdev.com
Mon Jan 7 01:11:36 PST 2008

Hi Tim,

You're right, global variables are nasty things in procedural
languages.  Those that have spent a large amount of time in perl or
javascript (both declare variables in the global scope by default)
know all too well the bugs that global variables can cause.  I've
spent a good chunk of time in both of those languages so global
variables generally frighten me.

However, in XQuery I see things a little bit differently.  Global
variables frequently create bugs when their values are modified
somewhere in the code.  Because you can't modify the values of
variables in XQuery, the use of declared variables (aka global
variables) isn't nearly as dangerous.

So in my mind it's mostly a question of style.  If you're going to
have a number of them declared over many modules, you might want to
consider namespacing them just to avoid collisions.

--Ryan