[xquery-talk] A Suitable Database for Good XQuery Performance

Wei, Alice J. ajwei at indiana.edu
Wed Jan 9 20:22:14 PST 2008

Hi, XQuery experts:

   I am not sure if anyone of you have tried to design a search engine (not full-text search, but like general search with different fields that take different variables from the XML documents) with XQuery to extract data.

  Since my data is not used for full-text based search, the maximum number of rows it would bring back does not exceed over 5000 rows in any case. Using strictly XQuery for this particular purpose to extract XML data, is it really a fact that the use of XML native database be the most effective?

  The second question, if the answer to the first is yes, how would I actually call up the collections in the database? In this case, if my XML native database application is using eXist?
  Has anyone tried using this to perform XQuery?

I welcome any suggestions on this topic.

Alice Wei
MIS 2008
Indiana University Bloomington
ajwei at indiana.edu