QRE: [xquery-talk] How do Java Xquery technologies fit ?

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Fri Jun 20 15:24:53 PDT 2008

First point is that XQJ is an interface - a way that XQuery users can talk
to XQuery implementations. It is not itself an XQuery implementation. XQJ is
to Saxon as SQL is to relational databases.

>What I am also wondering is the extent to which products like datadirect
Xquery have utilised the XQJ API to provide easy access to a relational
database and how an XML view of a relational database can be derrived ?

That's a question very specific to the DataDirect product.

>My only guess at the moment is that it makes an SQL call to retrieve all
the column names and builds some sort of internal schema using this ?

Well, I guess there's a lot more to it than that, but I expect you're along
the right lines.

>I'm I right in thinking that the XQJ API alone offers no such automatic
connection to table columns in a non XML relational database.

XQJ is just a pipe down which you can send XQuery requests. Unless there's
someone listening at the other end, it can't do anything.

>If this is the case my questions is whether Saxon can be modified to do
this (if at all advisable) and what work I would need to do to achieve this.

It's possible in theory but it's a *very* significant amount of work -
especially for someone who isn't already aware that it's a large project.

>I noticed when playing with the evaluation version of DataDirect Xquery
that it loaded what appears to be a saxon module

DataDirect XQuery uses some component technology acquired from Saxonica. It
does a lot more than Saxon (by distributing a query to multiple data sources
and assembling the results), but it reuses some of the Saxon technology to
do parts of the query processing.

Michael Kay
Saxonica

  _____