[xquery-talk] Comparing XML Databases to Object Databases

John Snelson john.snelson at oracle.com
Wed Mar 19 11:28:46 PST 2008

I had a conversation the other day where XML databases were being
compared to object databases. The person I was talking to suggested that
it was inevitable that XML databases would get subsumed by the existing
RDBMSs on the market, just like object databases had been.

I haven't had the benefit of experiencing the rise and fall of object
databases, but I have some opinions as to why I think XML databases have
a better chance than object databases ever had. What does everyone
think? Are XML databases headed for obscurity, or is the time for them
right and the comparison to object databases unfounded?

John

--
John Snelson, Oracle Corporation            http://snelson.org.uk/john
Berkeley DB XML:        http://www.oracle.com/database/berkeley-db/xml