[xquery-talk] Comparing XML Databases to Object Databases

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Thu Mar 20 11:54:23 PST 2008

> 4) The rise in interest to more closely combine program logic
> with query logic (LINQ etc.)

Actually, this is very much what object databases tried to do, and I think
it's a mixed blessing.

I think it works if you raise the level of the programming language so that
it's declarative and has awareness of the database schema and type system.

I don't think it works if you lower the level of the data manipulation
language so that it's procedural and lacks that awareness. That's what a lot
of object database systems tried to do, and I think it's what LINQ does.