[xquery-talk] [announce] Zorba: an XQuery processor, first release (0.9)

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Wed May 14 11:56:48 PDT 2008

On Tuesday 13 May 2008 10:41:53 Fabrice Desré - France Telecom DR&D/MAPS/AMS
wrote:
> Hello Daniela,
>
> Good news to see a zorba release !
>
> Now there are two C++ based XQuery processors (Zorba and XQilla). From
> their description they seem to be quite similar in scope and goals. Can
> you give some information on how different they are in order to choose
> the one most appropriate for a given task ?

There's another C++ implementation: QtXmlPatterns, although we(Trolltech)
haven't announced on these XML lists yet.

http://doc.trolltech.com/4.4/qtxmlpatterns.html

I believe it's fairly similar to XQilla in-scope(haven't looked into Zorba).
I'd say the advantages of QtXmlPatterns in the 4.4 release is:

* Portability: windows, OS X, Linux, Windows CE, Unix, etc; most platforms
that the Qt framework runs on
* Easy to use; ok documentation, simple value based classes
* Open source, but commercially backed
* Suitable for easy integration with other C++ code. For instance, one of the
examples runs an XQuery on top of the widget hierarchy in the current running
program.

However, QtXmlPatterns doesn't sport schema validation and it doesn't have a
database backend.

Cheers,

		Frans