[xquery-talk] cross implementation XQuery

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Wed Sep 10 09:59:02 PDT 2008

Personally, I don't think you should try to write entire applications in
XQuery. You should use XQuery for tasks that it is good at, and then
integrate the application using some other level of technology, for example
a pipeline processor. This way I think there is far less need to do anything
platform-dependent in the XQuery logic, and you end up with XQuery code that
is much more versatile and reusable.

Perhaps the main reason for this view is the absence of any dynamic despatch
mechanism in XQuery. This makes it very hard to write XQuery code that is
capable of doing more than one job, or of doing the same job in different
circumstances.

I've seen it done by compile-time manipulation of "import module" in the way
you suggest, but it's no fun.