[xquery-talk] Reserved namespaces, and QNames as extension keywords

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Tue Apr 21 00:54:19 PDT 2009

It's normal practice with namespaces to rely on the fact that if you use a
namespace based on a domain name that you own, then it's yours and other
people can't walk all over it. However, making a namespace "magic" in ways
other than the extensibility mechanisms defined in the spec is probably best
avoided.

If you're going to invent syntactic extensions then user queries aren't
going to be interoperable across implementations at all, so qualifying such
extensions with namespaces seems to have very little benefit, other than
perhaps making a clash with future standardized language constructs less
likely.