[xquery-talk] SPARQL to XQuery transformation

Rob Gonzalez rob.gonzalez at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 04:07:08 PDT 2009

It's Turing-complete, so no, there is no inherent disadvantage to
being purely functional, but it does have the advantage that
computation over large amounts of data can be more easily
parallelized, which is a huge advantage for XQuery in database
systems.

To your other point: inferencing isn't done as part of SPARQL
syntactically; that's part of the underlying data model and query
resolution.  I see no obvious reason, though maybe one exists, why
inferencing can't be done on an XML infoset (which is a directed
graph) in the same way that it's done on RDF data (which is a directed
graph).  I think it would be interesting to try to use OWL to describe
XML (OWL isn't specifically about RDF; it's just about things) to
prove this out (indeed, the fact that RDF can be serialized as XML
makes me think this wouldn't even be that challenging an exercise).

best,
-Rob