[xquery-talk] XQuery and Item Orientation

Ghislain Fourny gfourny at inf.ethz.ch
Fri Feb 6 21:35:50 PST 2009

Hello Hans-Juergen,

Yes, I agree with you, this is a drawback. For users writing complex
queries, it is not necessarily clear what the context item is, so that
with our notation (the same for function calls and method/item-
function calls) a user might perform a method/item-function call
without being aware of it. I like your idea of making item-function
calls explicit with another notation, which solves this problem. In
addition, XQuery does make a difference between variables (with a $)
and access to children of the context item (without a $), so it makes
sense to also make a difference between functions and methods/item-
functions, it would be a nice symmetry.

Kind regards,
Ghislain Fourny