[xquery-talk] Is It Time for EXSLT 2?

Adam Retter adam.retter at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 17 16:14:07 PST 2009

I came to a similar conclusion at the XML Prague 2007 conference after
speaking with fellow eXist developers about a number of XQuery
extension modules that I had added to eXist (some of which are
described here - http://www.exist-db.org/extensions.html). Like Kurt
my main thoughts were of avoiding vendor lock-in when developing
XQuery applications and providing an open standard similar to that of
the existing exslt.org.

For that reason I purchased a number of domain names which I intended
to use initially as a discussion for such a standard and later as a
place to publish a possible standard. I hoped to collaborate with
interested parties and developers of the leading XML databases in
defining and establishing this standard.

Unfortunately due to personal commitments in the last 18 months I have
been short of free time and not much has progressed, however I now
have some spare time available again.

The previously mentioned exquery.org is one of the domains that I
registered and I would be happy for this to be used (with the others)
to publish a collaborative open standard for extensions to XQuery.

So, how to get the ball rolling, who would like to be involved and the
best way to collaborate on such an effort?

Thanks Adam.

{Subjective disclaimer - I am a developer on the eXist XML Native Database}.

2009/1/10 Florent Georges <lists at fgeorges.org>:
>  Hi,
>
>  Kurt Cagle wrote an interesting blog post about a standard library
> of XQuery functions, EXQuery.org, kind of EXSLT for XQuery:
>
> http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2009/01/is-it-time-for-an-exqueryorg.html
>
>  Some of us on XSL List thought the same thing about XSLT 2.0 for a
> while, and we recently began new discussions on the EXSLT list about
> a new version for XSLT 2.0.  Actually, most of the extensions would
> be XPath 2.0 extension functions, and I believe most of them could
> be shared by XSLT 2.0 and XQuery (and maybe other plain XPath 2.0
> engines.)
>
>  As I explain in a comment on that blog post, I think it would be
> beneficial for both XSLT 2.0 and XQuery communities to join the same
> effort.  I would be interested to hear the XQuery community thoughts
> regarding EXSLT2.
>
>  For more info about EXSLT2, please see the EXSLT mailing list at
> http://lists.fourthought.com/mailman/listinfo/exslt and the wiki at
> http://www.fgeorges.org/exslt2-wiki/.
>
>  Regards,
>
> --