[xquery-talk] XQuery and Item Orientation

Ghislain Fourny gfourny at inf.ethz.ch
Wed Jan 21 00:38:08 PST 2009

Hello,

I totally agree with you that this is a rather minor step forward, but
as a programmer, I really value the possibility to have a way to
structure a program in modules and classes if the data is highly
structured: it makes the code easier to understand and it makes it
easier to build big applications. This is one step towards
encapsulation, without removing the ability of XQuery to deal with
unstructured data. But this might be simply a matter of taste and of
programming style, so this is somehow subjective.

Regarding static typing and Saxon: we do not use Saxon for the static
typing which determines which method is executed. Instead, we perform
a very basic and well-defined static typing on complex types based on
explicit type declarations and on the imported schema. Saxon SA is
only used to execute the compiled output, in which the method has
already been bound. So if you make changes to your optimisations, this
will not affect the result of the queries.

Kind regards,
Ghislain Fourny