[xquery-talk] Linking Saxon through to exist database

Dave Pawson dave.pawson at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 15:23:00 PST 2009

2009/1/24 Andrew Welch <andrew.j.welch at gmail.com>:

>> Can I connect a query to that database and use
>> Saxon for the query engine?
>
> No - you have to use eXist's query engine to benefit from the
> database.  Using Saxon as the query engine and talking to eXist
> through its rest interface effectively just treats as a filestore
> (unless you're calling an xquery to return you some nodes, but there's
> not much point in using Saxon and eXist in that case??)
>
> Is that what you meant?

My simple logic.
XSLT isn't very good at big files.
An xml database should be better.

Saxon provides an xquery interface.
Why can't I use the two together?
Yes, selecting nodes from an xml file or collection of files
in the exist database is the goal.

It did work with the exist REST interface.... can you
explain a bit better what you mean by treating exist
as a filestore? ... What else is exist?

Sounds like I'm missing another api into exist?
The "smart" one?
I'd prefer Saxon since the exist xquery implementation
seems incomplete according to the documentation?

I guess I'm missing something Andrew?

regards

--
Dave Pawson