[xquery-talk] Linking Saxon through to exist database

Liam Quin liam at w3.org
Sat Jan 24 12:42:40 PST 2009

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 03:23:00PM +0000, Dave Pawson wrote:
> My simple logic.
> XSLT isn't very good at big files.
> An xml database should be better.

Often they are. On my Web site I use qizx or saxon right now,
with prototypes using qizx with a database, or dbxml also
with a database.  But my "big" files are all under 50 MBytes.

> Saxon provides an xquery interface.
> Why can't I use the two together?

"Lorries are good for carrying freight. But a porsche is
nicer to drive.  Why can't I use the porsche to pull my
truck? :-) ;-)

> I'd prefer Saxon since the exist xquery implementation
> seems incomplete according to the documentation?

I don't know how complete it is -- I admit I tend to
use qizx rather than exist -- but if you stick with
XQuery and avoid extensions as much as possible,
you can easily experiment with moving between different
implementations and see which one(s) you like best :-)

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/ * http://www.fromoldbooks.org/