[xquery-talk] Linking Saxon through to exist database

Liam Quin liam at w3.org
Sun Jan 25 14:39:31 PST 2009

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 01:35:20PM -0500, Robert Koberg wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2009, at 12:42 PM, Liam Quin wrote:
> >On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 03:23:00PM +0000, Dave Pawson wrote:
[...]
> This isn't a fair comparison.
It was an analogy, not a comparison, I wasn't trying to be fair :-)
(maybe I should have mentioned that I also make heavy use
of Saxon myself)

> And really, how many people in the real world write only
> standards based XQuery?

A lot I hope.  I don't know how to measure it, though.
I don't think I've often used extension functions, although
collection() and doc() vary between implementations.
it depends what sort of thing you're doing --
I have always had a non-XQuery wrapper around my XQuery if it's on the
Web.  For example, http://www.fromoldbooks.org/Search/ uses
a query "preamble" that's generated on the fly from incoming
query parameters, and has been through some simple sanity checks.

Some people do it through extensions and some don't,
I expect, same as for XSLT.  I'd like to see more
standardisation of the fuzzy area around XQuery, e.g.
how to get at query parameters (CGI for example),
and some standard function libraries (image-dimensions,
get-exif-as-xml, random-number, etc etc) but I admit
I haven't written proposals...

Anyway, we're probably meandering a bit off topic here :-)
Thanks for replying, and sorry if my analogy was a
little cononfusing.

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/ * http://www.fromoldbooks.org/