[xquery-talk] XQuery and databases - XQuery 2.0

derstubbi at gmx.de derstubbi at gmx.de
Mon Jun 8 20:25:20 PDT 2009

> > Just use a relative URI: doc("/db/my.xml"). The xquery is
> > running on the server. It knows and has access to all
> > documents stored there. There's no need to use an HTTP URI here.

Hello,
I am not running the query in the server. I use xquery "standalone", triggered with java or VB.net using saxon.

> Or if you really do want eXist simply to return the whole document, and
> then
> to run client-side queries against the returned document, you could use a
> free-standing (non-database) query processor like Saxon on the client
> side.
> Sometimes if you want to do intensive processing that will use most of the
> data in the document, and if you know exactly what document you want to
> process, then it can make sense to do this processing on the client side.

Yes,I want to retrieve a whole document, even on a different server, and normally I get the full name.
If I want to retrieve more documents, I could use collections, right? (I have not used collections yet)

I am able to retrieve xml-documents from a repository, which runs on a tomcat-server. But in that case I need the id of the document (thats ok).
So I searched a way to get documents from a "normal" database, and at first I tried eXist.

Is there a way that you would prefer? Maybe something I didn't even think of !?!